The Followers component in SPMM allow users to “follow” each other. The functionality is similar to the FOLLOW function available on most other social media platforms.
In order to see follower activity in a “social feed”, you do need to enable the Social Feed component as well!
- New FOLLOW/UNFOLLOW buttons in each user profile
- Follower stats in user profiles
- Follow/Unfollow buttons in the user directory
- Users can restrict their profiles to only followers
- Users can restrict their profiles to only people they follow
- Admins can use a widget to display follower stats in widgitized areas such as sidebars.
- Admins can restrict follow functionality by roles
- Users can receive notifications for a new follow
- Private messaging functionality can be restricted based on follow status
Activating The Component
To activate the FOLLOWERS component:
- Navigate to MEMBER MANAGER->SETTINGS->COMPONENTS
- Click the checkbox next to Simple:Press Member Manager – FOLLOWERS
- Click the Save Changes button
The component should now be enabled.
Access the general settings page at MEMBER MANAGER->SETTINGS->COMPONENT SETTINGS->FOLLOWERS
Restrict Following Functions by Role
You can control which roles are allowed to follow each other.
- Go to MEMBER MANAGER->USER ROLES
- Edit the role that you need to restrict
- Scroll down to the Followers section
- Can Follow User: Whether this role can follow users
- Can Follow These User Roles Only: Which roles the user is allowed to follow. For example, you can specify that Editors, Authors and Subscribers can be followed but VIPs cannot be followed. Use the CTRL-CLICK key combination to choose multiple roles.
- Click the Update Role button on the upper right of the page to save your changes
The End User Experience
In the directory, there is a new FOLLOW button on each user card:
Each user profile has new FOLLOW buttons as well as follow statistics:
More Topics In Member Manager - Components